The changing of the seasons brings changes in our activities and can make us more susceptible to illness, especially in the Fall and Winter. Now is the time to focus on what keeps our immune system strong.
Ways to maintain a strong immune system are:
1. Eat nutritious foods –Organic and fresh when possible
Nutrients that help build a healthy Immune System are:
- Omega 3’s found in scale fish
- Mono-saturated fats which are found in olive oil and coconut oil,
- Zinc – meats(grass-fed) with protein such as calf’s liver, beef and lamb
- Phytonutrients– Are certain compounds that help plants and humans defend against infectious organisms and other invaders. They are found in fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Two important ones are:
- Vitamin C – found in leafy and brightly colored greens, citrus fruits, especially oranges and grapefruits, berries, cantelope, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and broccoli
- Vitamin E – a handful of nuts or seeds each day
Spices – put into soups, stews and sauces
Garlic and Onions – especially to avoid colds
Yogurt – ¾ cup a day to stop virus production
2. Drink plenty of water – Dehydration lowers your defenses.
8- 8oz. of water and other fluids (try coconut water
3. Avoid sugar laden foods – As little as 2 sodas a day can lower your immune system by 40%. There are 10 teaspoons in one 12 oz. can of soda. Diet soda still has the fructose in the artificial sweetener which stresses your liver.
4. Avoid bad fat – trans-fat, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, fried food, processed meat
5. Exercise – 30 to 60 minutes at least 3 days a week.
6. Sleep!! Get at least 8 hrs. of sleep each day
Read more about building your immune system from Nutritionist Joy Bauer at: